To Domestic Violence Trainers: We Get It

Article here. Excerpt:

'Slowly we started seeing laws and services for women change. Then came the training from man haters and cop haters lecturing us about how the advocates from among the academics and social activists knew the truth about family disturbance calls while us ignorant cops were brutal and crude and just making everything worse. Ask a cop what they learned in domestic violence training back then and they’d say, “Woman good, man bad”. We were a tough, eye-rolling crowd. And yet even with the left-wing activists ramming it down our blue collar throats, the law enforcement profession responded. We became enlightened. We began to understand that a punch in the nose shouldn’t be acceptable just because the victim is sleeping with the perpetrator. We studied the research and accepted the science of offender behavior and the studies of victimology that made sense of the seemingly illogical behavior of battered women.'

---

Ed. note: No mention that men are DV victims, also. So he may get what the trainers are saying, and may have good advice back for the trainers, but do the trainers get that upwards of half the actual number of DV victims are male?

Like0 Dislike0

Comments

I wrote him about his article. His very balanced response is below:

Excellent point Mark. I guess I've been a victim of the very kinds of trainers I am criticizing. Thanks for the comment - that's what sharpens the sword.

JFS

> comment: Hi Joel:
> Men are victims of domestic violence, too.
> You wouldn't know that at all from reading your article.
> Unfortunately, that kind of bias is all too common in law enforcement where domestic violence is concerned.
> I hope you will be less discriminatory in the future.
> Sincerely,
> Mark

Like0 Dislike0