F&F Campaign: Ask DSM to Include Parental Alienation in Upcoming Edition

Article here. Excerpt:

Round 2–We’ve Made Progress, but Need Your Participation Again
(Update, 2/16/10)

Fathers & Families wants to ensure that the DSM-5 Task Force is aware of the scope and severity of Parental Alienation. To this end, in December we asked our supporters to write the Task Force to urge them to consider including Parental Alienation Disorder in DSM-5. As usual, your response was overwhelming. It also helped lead to progress–while as expected the newly-released draft version does not specifically include Parental Alienation Disorder, the DSM-5 Task Force has now listed Parental Alienation Disorder among the “Conditions Proposed by Outside Sources... that are still under consideration by the work groups.”

Like0 Dislike0

Another Time When Amy Bishop Should Have Been Charged

Article here. It now surfaces that Amy Bishop pulled a shotgun on a Tom Petttigrew some 20+ years ago. She threatened him and his friend with the gun, and was later surrounded by and arrested by the police. Again she was given the pass, and no charges were pressed. How many times do we give women "the pass"? It turns out that the criminal justice system gave this woman the pass again and again. And now three are dead at the University of Alabama, and two more critically wounded and in the hospital. Is this what comes from letting women get away with things, not holding them responsible for their actions, not treating them as adults? This is, after all, what modern feminism is advocating, that women have all the power to do things like this, but none of the responsibilities that go along with being an adult. Note that this story also indicates that the shooting of her brother was probably intentional, because she is, in this story, looking for a get-away car.

From the story:

Like0 Dislike0

A father's search for the truth

Amazing story of a father who spent months trying to find his child after it's mother abandoned the newborn in a church in another country. Excerpt:

"Across an ocean, 28-year-old Brandon Henry was on a quest for answers of his own. He no longer believed his girlfriend's story that their baby died at birth last summer at a Sugar Land hospital.
That's when Stephanie Chavarria confessed to leaving the child in Florence while vacationing with her parents, police said. “She told me she gave birth in the hotel bathroom,” Henry said. “Then, not knowing what else to do, she'd gone into a church to pray. She wanted help but nobody spoke English. So she just left him there.
After a DNA analysis proved Henry was indeed the father, he was finally permitted to see his son, who was 3 months old by then.
Henry remains grateful for every kiss — and the nuns' prayers that he credits for helping to get his son home."

Like0 Dislike0

1986 Mass. State Police investigative review report on fratricide by Amy Bishop surfaces

Fox shows it here. I have some questions about this report and I put them in the first comment of the story. Excerpt:

'To: First Assistant District Attorney John P. Kivlan
From: Trooper Brian L. Howe #1332 BLH
Subject: Accidental Shooting of Seth Bishop, White Male,
D.O.B. 4/9/68 At 46 Hollis Avenue, Braintree, Massachusetts on December 6, 1986.
Case: # 86-112-0910-0185

On December 6, 1986, this officer was directed by Detective Lieutenant James Sharkey to conduct an investigation into the fatal shooting of Seth Bishop at his residence of 46 Hollis Avenue in the Town of Braintree.

This officer contacted Captain Theodore Buker of the Braintree Police Department and was informed by Captain Buker that at approximately 1422 hours on December 6, 1986, the Braintree Police Department had responded to the report of a shooting a 46 Hollis Avenue in their town.

Like0 Dislike0

Alleged University Shooter Was Suspect in Harvard Professor Bomb Attempt

Story here. Excerpt:

'An Alabama professor accused of shooting six colleagues was a suspect in the attempted mail bombing of a Harvard Medical School professor in December of 1993, the Boston Globe reported.

Amy Bishop and her husband James Anderson were questioned by authorities after a package with two bombs were sent to Dr. Paul Rosenberg, the newspaper reported.

When Rosenberg saw the long, thin package had wires and a cylinder inside, he and his wife called police and ran from their Newton, Mass. home Dec. 19, 1993, the Globe reported.

Two 6-inch pipe bombs connected to two nine-volt batteries were found in the package.

The new information comes a day after information surfaced that Bishop killed her brother. The 1986 shooting was ruled accidental and no charges were filed against her.'

Like0 Dislike0

Wife of Murdered Olympic Medalist Arrested (for murdering her husband)

Story here. Excerpt:

'OXNARD, Calif. — The wife of an Olympic shot put medalist gunned down in his Southern California back yard last summer was arrested Saturday in the homicide case, authorities said.

Jane Laut, 52, was detained during a traffic stop Saturday morning on a warrant issued earlier in the week, Oxnard police said in a written statement.

Her husband David Laut, who won a bronze medal in the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, was shot several times in the head on the night of Aug. 28 in their yard in Oxnard, a coastal city 60 miles northwest of Los Angeles. He was declared dead at the scene.

Jane Laut's attorney called it a "self-defense case," apparently contradicting police reports of her statements at the time of the killing.

Jane Laut had told investigators immediately after the shooting that he went to the backyard to check out suspicious sounds, and she heard shots fired, police said. Police initially said Laut may have been killed by prowlers, but a few days later said the killing was not random.

Like0 Dislike0

Murder, Gender and Punishment

Article here. Traci Housman appears to be likely to get a light sentence or even just probation for the killing of her husband, John. What I found interesting in this article are these comments by her defense attorney, who basically admits the bias in the system. Excerpt:

'Traci Housman originally was charged with second-degree murder in the stabbing death of John Housman, and a conviction could have sent her to prison for between 10 to 32 years in prison. Criminally negligent homicide, which is a lesser offense that comes with a sentencing range between one and three years in prison, requires that a person failed to perceive the risk of their actions.

Like0 Dislike0

Fatherless Day, Los Angeles, 2009

Technical problems, etc. withheld release of this Fatherless Day, Los Angeles, 2009 video, until now.

Fathers4Justice, L.A. (F4JLA), and the National Coalition for Men, Los Angeles (NCFMLA) staged this protest last summer.

This is the downtown Los Angeles courthouse, where a number of Hollywood celebrities have had their divorces and child custody/support cases heard over the years.

Like0 Dislike0

U of Alabama shooter is the same "Amy Bishop" from 1986 news headlines

I knew I had heard that name before! Turns out she is the exact same "Amy Bishop" who shot and killed her brother back in 1986 - yet the death was deemed an accident. Read it here. And get this: The file on that case is missing! Excerpt:

'Bishop is the University of Alabama, Huntsville professor accused of killing three of her colleagues and wounding three others on Friday.

Braintree Police Chief Paul Frazier said the file of the 1986 shooting which the police closed as an accidental gun discharge, is missing.

He added that from what could be pieced together, the police chief in 1986 ordered Bishop released even before her arrest was formalized.
Bishop killed her brother with a shotgun blast in 1986 in Braintree, Mass. in what she said at the time was an accident, according to the Boston Globe and other news outlets.'

Stay tuned - skeletons are going to pop out of closets and people who thought they were safe from scrutiny over the 1986 case will now be scrambling to explain the whos and whys.

Like0 Dislike0

"Men's Rights" Wikipedia page fleshed out nicely

In case you haven't seen it recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights

(URL, text only: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_rights)

Very nice. Thanks to the author(s) thereof.

Oh yeah, that "%27" in the URL is the single apostrophe in the topic name. Without that kind of encoding, some older-version browsers won't load the page correctly. The later-version ones can handle apostrophes in the URL, so you can also try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_rights

(URL, text only: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_rights)

Like0 Dislike0

Race & Gender of Judges Make Enormous Differences in Rulings, Studies Find

Article here. Excerpt:

'A judge's race or gender makes for a dramatic difference in the outcome of cases they hear—at least for cases in which race and gender allegedly play a role in the conduct of the parties, according to two recent studies.

The results were the focus of a program about “Diversity on the Bench: Is the ‘Wise Latina’ a Myth?,” sponsored by the ABA Judicial Division at the ABA Midyear Meeting in Orlando on Saturday afternoon.

Like0 Dislike0

Three killed in U. of Alabama shooting; star female professor in custody

Story here. It seems a female professor decided to go Rambo after being denied tenure*. Read the story quickly because I'm sure it will be shuffled to the back page in a matter of minutes. At least on CBC, the story is short, vague and understated. Excerpt:

'Three people were killed and several more injured in a shooting Friday in a science building at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus, university officials said.

A woman was in custody, but university spokesman Ray Garner said he could not identify her or the victims. Local television stations reported she is a faculty member.

Trent Willis, chief of staff for Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle, said several other people had been shot in addition to the four Garner reported, but he did not have an exact number or their conditions.'

---
*Ed. note: I don't see that mentioned in the article. Possibly Scottie knows this from another source, but the article itself does not contain that as a fact.

Like0 Dislike0

Divorced parents turning to laptops for virtual visits

Story here. Excerpts:

'CHICAGO — Greg Baddick helped his 9-year-old daughter learn the state capitals of the Midwest.

Later, when he asked Isabella how her test went, she said she got an A-plus — although she almost forgot the answer for Nebraska.

Baddick congratulated her by Internet video link, the same way he helped her study. "I’m proud of you.”

Because Baddick, a senior manager for a pharmaceutical company, is divorced from Isabella’s mother, he helped his daughter study using their laptop computers and the Internet. The virtual visits are a weekly date, in addition to the in-person weekly visits and twice-monthly weekend stays. Isabella lives in Elgin, Ill.; Baddick in Chicago.

"It’s been, honestly, a godsend,” Baddick, 39, said. "I feel like I’m there. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.”

Like0 Dislike0

NY Daily News touts "Deadbeat Dad" disparagement

Article here. Excerpt:

'Michael Lohan is a deadbeat dad.

"It's almost been a year without child support," Dina Lohan said after a closed door meeting with her ex-husband in Nassau County Family Court on Tuesday.

The parents of troubled starlet Lindsey Lohan have been squabbling over court-ordered child support payments.

It's unclear how much Michael Lohan owes, but TMZ.com reported it was more than $15,000.

"I just want him to do the right thing. I just want him to take care of his kids," Dina Lohan said after the meeting. "This isn't about us. It's about his children."'

So the Lohans (ie, Lindsay and her mother) can't get by without $15k over a year's time in addition to whatever it is they are taking in by being famous?

Like0 Dislike0

Globe & Mail's Margaret Wente: Cheating husbands fit for whacking

Article here. If a woman cheats, no matter what, she should never be assaulted over it, never ever, not even if she is brazen in it -- and that is a good thing; a man being so abused should just leave her without violence. (I am told that in China, men whose wives cheat on them are talked of; they are said to wear a "red hat", and people laugh at them. If anyone can say where this "red hat" image comes from, please post. And we can find many similar cultural values all over the world wherein men are "blamed" for a wife's infidelities, or in most cases, made fun of over it.)

But should a man be unfaithful though, well, he is fit for a good whacking. The offending sentence is at the end of the article, so I state it here: "I desperately hope that one of these days some humiliated spouse will whack the guy with a frying pan. I'd give good money to see that."

Like0 Dislike0

Pages

Subscribe to Mensactivism.org RSS