Comic Treats Domestic Violence as a Joke
posted by Scott on Thursday April 04, @12:15AM
from the domestic-violence dept.
Domestic Violence Anonymous User writes, "Something's been nagging at me. Lynn Johnston's For Better or For Worse comic depicts a guy being beaten up by two girls (one of whom is one of the main characters). Admittedly he was being a cad and dating both of them, but I don't think violence should be tolerated regardless. Am I being too alarmist by submitting this? No matter how I look at it it seems like Johnston's saying Domestic Violence is okay as long as the person is bad." Or male - does anyone really think she would depict two men beating up a woman that was two-timing them?

Few Men in College, Women Suffer | Spreading Misandry's Spreading Popularity  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
who to contact (Score:1)
by brad (moc.oohay@leirna) on Thursday April 04, @12:21AM EST (#1)
(User #305 Info) http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bj3beatt
the author, i believe: lynn@fborfw.com

Re:who to contact (Score:1)
by tparker on Thursday April 04, @04:02PM EST (#54)
(User #65 Info)
I am getting a malformed address response, verified the address with yr post above and the website. Got any alternatives?

Thanks
Re:who to contact (Score:2)
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Thursday April 04, @04:40PM EST (#56)
(User #187 Info)
The Web site is currently unavailable, too, apparently. Could be having domain troubles.

letter sent (Score:1)
by brad (moc.oohay@leirna) on Thursday April 04, @12:30AM EST (#2)
(User #305 Info) http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bj3beatt
i've sent the following letter. if i recieve a reply, i'll post it here.

Hello there. I'm writing out of concern over the content of April 2nd's strip. To keep this letter brief, consider the following reversal.

Imagine two men discover that they are dating the same woman. After her professed apologies, they decide to cope with her infidelity by beating her to the ground.

Hopefully this illustrates my point. If not, I'd be more than willing to clarify.

Brad Beattie

Re:letter sent (Score:1)
by Dan-Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Thursday April 04, @09:59PM EST (#67)
(User #722 Info)
Any reply on this yet????? Brad.
Dan Lynch
Re:letter sent (Score:1)
by brad (moc.oohay@leirna) on Thursday April 04, @11:11PM EST (#69)
(User #305 Info) http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bj3beatt
nope. nothing. probably won't get one either. i've come to expect that sort of thing. regardless, i said my piece.
Re:letter sent (Score:1)
by brad (moc.oohay@leirna) on Thursday April 11, @04:08PM EST (#77)
(User #305 Info) http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bj3beatt
a reply:
Thanks for your message. I agree with you. It's unfortunate the static illustration in the strip cannot show you that the girls are not hurting Eric seriously. If they were, he'd be protecting himself. This is more of a pummel than a punch. Not a bruise is inflicted, except to his ego. I appreciate your input!

Sreading Misandry (Score:1)
by Dan-Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Thursday April 04, @01:43AM EST (#3)
(User #722 Info)
This is another example of how we as a culture depicts men as being able to handle the violence. How he has brought it upon himself therefor deserves it and relieves the women of any culpability. Is this artist intentionally trying to bring men down?? Not likely. It is more likely that she is playing lip service to her own role as a women and cashing in on this, (male artists do this aswell). And thats the problem no one is pointing these things out to anyone, it diabolically goes unreckonized. I think you did a good thing by pointing this out and should continue to do so, no matter how trivial the comments or pictures may seem. Maybe when enough awareness is out there then we can relax as a group. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. We should not attack the artists on a personnal level, unless we are certain they are doing these works on a conscious level, they are people too. Misandry has become so imbibed in our culture it works unaminously at a sub-conscious level. Feminists have tirelessly pointed out what descriminates against women, objectifies them or otherwise insults them. They have turned a blind eye to what harms men or the image of man and this thought has become acceptable behavoir. We have to return to a more balanced approach as before, when images of men and women were on even grounds. In order to do that we have to point out every little thing that depicts men in a harmful way to get the message across. Artists will get the idea and perhaps creat a new art depicting what men suffer, and or what makes them great. Hopefully this stratigic manouver will not have to go on to long. But we will have to face being called wimps and whiney weaklings, to show our true strength as resposible men trying to create an environment free from hostility. Dan Lynch
Dan Lynch
2-after-1? Or 1-after-2? Reverse genders (Score:1)
by dogfree_zone on Thursday April 04, @02:08AM EST (#4)
(User #708 Info)
Did I miss the point of this violent graphic series?

1) if both showed up together, they certainly knew one another. What were they doing screwing (around) the same man? If they we're not both having sex with him, what's the beef? If they were, and knew one another, where's the blame? If they just happened to run into one another, do they hang out at the same joints?

2) Or was the man stupid enough to screw around with two friends? Or take them to the same places? If so, he deserves a lesson.

3) A modern assertive fem woman often pursues more than one man at a time. Just like any feminist would give her the right. Real eqalitarian. Even the old fashioned woman plays two men at the same time. I've seen a boatload of these women, gratefully at a distance from me.

4) Hence, does the beating the two women give the man pursuing both of them, when the opposite of the case: Give two men who have been pursued by the same woman, a right to beat the snot out of her?

Re:2-after-1? Or 1-after-2? Reverse genders (Score:1)
by Dan-Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Thursday April 04, @02:16AM EST (#5)
(User #722 Info)
Usally what happens is the two guys try to beat the snot out of eachother. Dan Lynch
Dan Lynch
Re:2-after-1? Or 1-after-2? Reverse genders (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Saturday April 06, @10:32AM EST (#74)
Just to answer your first question, I think the two women in the strip only knew each other in passing. The main character one figured out what was going on when she found out her boyfriend wasn't showing up for hockey practice with his buddies.
I've written Lynn, who I have met before (Score:1)
by jaxom on Thursday April 04, @07:57AM EST (#6)
(User #505 Info) http://clix.to/support/
I doubt Lynn means any harm. Yet, I think there is potential for harm due to the laughter effect.

Here's what I said in my email to her:

Lynn, I've always liked your work. We met in Manitoba and I liked your work there too.

I do have a minor problem with the Liz and Tina beating up on whatzhisface... You see, the problem we who work with battered men have is that so many people think it is funny when a woman beats her husband or ex. That is by far our largest complaint with society across North America. I just got an email from Jade Rebick the director of SAFE, the large US charity working with battered men (& Gays & Lesbians), he is worried about the direction the column is going with this matter.

I think you mean no harm. Yet, can you understand our concern? The real victims of husband battery (as well as Gays & Lesbians battered by their partners) already feel mocked by our society: They are intentionally discriminated against. Seeing your column adds to the feelings of rejection.

Could you include a panel with some professor saying something along the lines of our concerns to Liz and Tina?

the Volksgaren Project: Intelligent Abuse Recovery, http://clix.to/support/, jaxom@amtelecom.net, 519-773-9644
Red herring (Score:1)
by Subversive on Thursday April 04, @10:25AM EST (#16)
(User #343 Info)
Domestic violence is bad, but this cartoon is a red herring. Protesting it will accomplish nothing except bringing ridicule upon those who are trying to get female-to-male domestic violence noticed. Surely we can come up with an example which is not so much of a stretch. Battered men are real, and their situations are a lot more dire than that of a "cad" getting slapped by a couple of women who have just found out that he has been dogging them the whole time. Really. Pushing this is not going to get any sympathy from anyone. Hell, if that's what I thought battered men consisted of, then I would lose interest in the issue. We need to pick our battles, rather wasting time and energy on such scattershot.
-----
This signature has been infected with Anthrax. Take your medicine.
Re:Red herring (Score:1)
by Remo on Thursday April 04, @02:18PM EST (#52)
(User #732 Info)
I agree with you, Subversive.

This cartoon disturbed me very much in the "double standards" department.I was nearly sick with dread and anger as the script developed. Yet the actual level of violence was mild, believable, and halfway understandable.

I can tell you that most of the people I've known in my life (middle class and working class, never known a rich person)have no idea of just what constitutes the felony of "assault " in our current society. Thus, I am constantly subjected to hearing stories of intimate partner/brother/sister/gang violenc that easily far exceeds that of the cartoon.

And thus, I am made more aware that every single one of us is a criminal according to the laws in the books.

Re:Red herring (Score:1)
by Dan-Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Thursday April 04, @09:55PM EST (#65)
(User #722 Info)
"Yet the actual level of violence was mild, believable, and halfway understandable"

I thought that there was NO EXCUSE!!!! For domestic violence, or inter ralational violence.

    hehehe,

"And thus, I am made more aware that every single one of us is a criminal according to the laws in the books."

  How ironic that the lawyers who made the laws have to keep working because of then, sounds like they've found a great cash cow. Dan Lynch
Nice society we live in, can't look at anyone, can't talk to anyone, forget about incidental touching, that may as well be a stoning offence. Remember when murder was the thing that people realy worried about????? Me neither.

Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch
Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1)
by Scott (scott@mensactivism.org) on Thursday April 04, @01:28PM EST (#46)
(User #3 Info)
I owe a lot of people an apology. I went to delete the one post which included links to pornographic web sites which showed women being raped and abused, and the web engine deleted every single comment which (I assume) was in that thread.

I believe I had a legal obligation to delete the original post, but I apologize to everyone, no matter what the content of their message was, for inadvertently deleting theirs. I hadn't even read most of the responses.

Scott
Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1)
by nazgul on Thursday April 04, @01:41PM EST (#48)
(User #620 Info)
Perfectly OK, Scott. Don't fret, there was very little of value in that thread, believe me. A lot of extreme nastiness and bigotry. Anyone who obsesses over that kind of sick material, and subsequently judges enormous swaths of the population based on its content has serious issues at work that are unsusceptible to reason. Thanks.
Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1, Offtopic)
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Thursday April 04, @09:32PM EST (#64)
(User #187 Info)
What does Fscked mean?

It's a replacement for the true "f-word," and it is often used by Unix enthusiasts because "fsck" is a disk checking and repair utility.

Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1)
by warble (activistwarble@yahoo.com) on Thursday April 04, @01:45PM EST (#49)
(User #643 Info)
I believe I had a legal obligation to delete the original post, but I apologize to everyone, no matter what the content of their message was, for inadvertently deleting theirs. I hadn't even read most of the responses.

(sarcasm mode on)

Okay everybody. All in a monotone chorus...thaaannnnks Scott!

Like we really had anything important to say about that filth. Gees. I am sooooo torn!

(Sarcasm mode off)

Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1)
by brad (moc.oohay@leirna) on Thursday April 04, @01:52PM EST (#50)
(User #305 Info) http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bj3beatt
*in a descending tone ala sitcom* waa waa waa waaaaaa

them's the breaks of web life.
Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1)
by crescentluna (evil_maiden@yahoo.com) on Thursday April 04, @06:08PM EST (#57)
(User #665 Info)
Hey, don't worry about it, they weren't exactly the shining examples of the materials we have on this site anyway.
Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:0, Offtopic)
by warble (activistwarble@yahoo.com) on Thursday April 04, @08:48PM EST (#61)
(User #643 Info)
....their abuse of women being shoved in their faces.

As usual this feminist troller has no proof of it's allegations.

Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:0, Offtopic)
by warble (activistwarble@yahoo.com) on Thursday April 04, @09:01PM EST (#62)
(User #643 Info)
Talk about censoring free speech but then if I was you I'd remove the threads too. Afterall you can't very well have men complaining about a little cartoon while there's evidence of their abuse of women being shoved in their faces.

I should also point out that this illustrates a sick pattern of the far left feminist liberals. They refuse to accept censorship of free speech in any form. Then when the sickos publish the most vile and filthy porn, they blame and teach a sick hatred of all men. After that, they try to get thought control laws passed because of the crisis they created.

These radical liberals fail to recognize how they are connected with the porn they origionally made possible. It is a true example of a pathology. It is useless to try and have a discussion or reason with these pathological liars. They are incapable of grasping a normal and rational reasoning process. It is best to ignore them except maybe to illustrate how their reasoning is so defective.

Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:0, Offtopic)
by brad (moc.oohay@leirna) on Thursday April 04, @10:55PM EST (#68)
(User #305 Info) http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bj3beatt
i did some research on your claims, anon. while there are rape-porn sites aimed at men, there are also those aimed at women. these female domination sites are actually quite plentiful and equally disgusting.

so your although what you say might be true, you're leaving out the other side of the coin. in doing so, you portray an unbalanced picture of the reality of the situation which may lead to some inaccurate conclusions.
Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1)
by nazgul on Friday April 05, @08:37AM EST (#72)
(User #620 Info)
Better off ignoring this one, everybody. Whoever this is seems to be incapable of a reasonable conversation. There is an absolute imperviousness to basic logic (anybody who commits the "fallacy of composition" is really, really far behind on their critical thinking skills). Let this be a lesson to us, though. Just as Glenn wrote earlier this week, there are a lot of potholes in a movement such as ours, and many of them are filled with hate. Don't let yourselves fall into the same trap of impotent rage as this girl has. It's a sad, unfortunate place to be.
Re:Scott Fscked Up Big Time (Score:1)
by Deacon on Thursday April 04, @11:56PM EST (#70)
(User #587 Info)
This troll has used the words "jerk off" so much I'm beginning to think it has severe penis envy, assuming it has no penis. Not to mention all these rape sites that it mysteriously ran across while on its way to the Ms. message boards.

Gender feminism is like a severe form of delusional disorder, and the genfems are WAAAAY overdue on their meds.

"Stereotypes are devices that save a biased person the trouble of learning."
So it's OK to give his property away? (Score:1)
by equalitarian62 on Thursday April 04, @08:05PM EST (#60)
(User #267 Info)
I saw the comic strip myself and found the double standard where "it's OK for two young women to beat up a man" to be rather offensive.

Did anyone notice that the girlfriend felt that it was OK to give his new skates away to the Salvation Army? While he may have acted like a cad in this strip (of course it's only the guy who does), she had no right to give his property away like that. I wonder what would have happened if the young woman was two timing two guys, and one of them gave her property to charity.

Steve
Re:So it's OK to give his property away? (Score:1)
by Dan-Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Thursday April 04, @09:57PM EST (#66)
(User #722 Info)
It would be called 'theft' instead of 'just deserts'. And I gotta tell ya Im sick of eating there.
Dan Lynch
Dan Lynch
Reply to Letter (Score:1)
by tparker on Thursday April 11, @04:05PM EST (#76)
(User #65 Info)
The reply is first, my letter to which it is addressed is below:

Dear Tom:
Thanks for your message. I agree with you. It's unfortunate the static illustration in the strip cannot show you that the girls are not hurting Eric seriously. If they were, he'd be protecting himself. This is more of a pummel than a punch. Not a bruise is inflicted, except to his ego. I appreciate your input!

All the best,

Lynn Johnston