Title: Ceramic penis case headed for trial

Author: Owen S. Good

Date: March 8, 2002

"Take Our Daughters To Work Day" Is Sexist | Women Lawyers Want to Work 20% Fewer Hours to Raise Children  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Time for Courage (Score:1, Interesting)
by proudman on Friday March 08, @10:56AM EST (#1)
(User #720 Info)
Real men on that jury should use the principle of jury nullification to find him not guilty. This is a classic case of fully justifiable civil disobedience. A clear message should be sent that misandry and androphobic behavior is wrong, and will not be protected.
Re:Time for Courage (Score:2)
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Friday March 08, @11:02AM EST (#2)
(User #187 Info)
Real men on that jury should use the principle of jury nullification to find him not guilty. This is a classic case of fully justifiable civil disobedience. A clear message should be sent that misandry and androphobic behavior is wrong, and will not be protected.

Indeed. And if they do convict him, I hope the radio stations and the public in Boulder create an outcry similar to the one heard when the penis display was still hanging in the library.

What Makes You Think... (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Friday March 08, @01:03PM EST (#7)
What makes you think there will be ANY real men on that jury? You can bet the prosecutor will be very selective as to the character of the owners of the penises that sit in the jury chairs.

Frank H
Re:What Makes You Think... (Score:1)
by Luek on Friday March 08, @04:49PM EST (#12)
(User #358 Info)
If the prosecution really wants a conviction, they should strive to get an all male jury. Just make sure the jurors are all tiresome middle age men who have a narcissistic fixation to have women in general to approve of them.

This neurotic need in middle aged men for female approval at any costs seems to come with the thinnig hair and the belly paunch!
Re:What Makes You Think... (Score:1)
by bernee on Friday March 08, @05:42PM EST (#16)
(User #24 Info)
A bit of topic Luek...but arn't you using a bit of a generalisation. Not all middle age men have neurotic need for female approval, belly paunch and thinning hair! I'm 50 y.o - if that puts me in 'middle age' - and I can only lay claim to one of these, the 3rd!

Re:What Makes You Think... (Score:1)
by Luek on Saturday March 09, @12:10AM EST (#18)
(User #358 Info)
Good! I hope you or others just like you get selected for the jury.!

Yes, I should have used "some" more in the post to avoid the impression of generalization.

My main objective of the post was to point out "a" particular tap root that is a source of nourishment for the misandric thorny bush we keep getting pricked by. As Thoreau said, "many strike at the branches of evil but one must strike at its root." Or something very similar.

Unfortunately,"some" tiresome old middle-aged males who have an overpowering personal need for female approval regardless of the costs of others are a prime source of the troubles we are in and especially if they wear the black robes of the tyrannical fascist judiciary that is concerned with enforcing the slavery of so called family law.
Re:What Makes You Think... (Score:1)
by Attila on Saturday March 09, @10:16AM EST (#23)
(User #685 Info)
Good call, bernee. BTW unless you are one helluvan unusual guy, the paunch will show up someday. I've had one since childhood. I've also got one helluva set of guns and stumps. I can outlift anybody on the jobsite. If you will notice on the "Worlds Stongest Man" contests, they've all got "paunches", which in their cases, as mine, serve as additional muscle structure and a great lunch locker so we can keep working all day. Who the hell decided that thinning hair and paunches are less than masculine in the first place??? Trolls, damnit, trolls.
Re:What Makes You Think... (Score:1)
by Attila on Saturday March 09, @09:34AM EST (#20)
(User #685 Info)
Let us not forget mortality realization, the lack of domestic skills, years of abuse from the femme in the work force and endless reminders from the media that leads those "middle aged men (with thinning hair and the belly paunch)" to seek female approval. Not all women are bad and "belly paunchs and thinning hair" do not lead to gutless denial of one's masculinity. And I further offer that those "middle aged men (with thinning hair and the belly paunch)" can and will show their allegiance to the mens movement while seated in a jury. Your generalization, despite its non-existent connection to "thinning hair and the belly paunch", smacks of a denial of your own masculinity, an infantile ageist position and a certainty of issues with your father. You're young, think that you will live forever and are very afraid of your future as a man. I guarantee that at some point you will also have "thinning hair and the belly paunch." Your anger is directed in the wrong direction. And about that exclamation point... An all male jury is exactly what the dildo bandito needs. Please try to find in yourself the necessaries to be supportive of this mens movement. We've had enough male bashing elsewhere you stinking little troll. You owe us an apology, suck it up like a man and do so, without equivocation.

Re:What Makes You Think... (Score:1)
by Attila on Saturday March 09, @09:56AM EST (#21)
(User #685 Info)
It is NOT the men who are the problem. It is misandry that is the problem. And it resides in people. You have the gall to question masculinity? It is that form of sexism that is used by the trolls to slay us all. If you ever question my masculinity in anything less than a very close friendship I will personally knock you on your ass. Do you think that will prove to you that I am man enough???? Would you like to be on the board of penis inspectors and check out all the men to see if they are "real men" before you sign their cards of masculine approval???? Please stop with the male bashing, you fascist.
Re:What Makes You Think... (Score:1)
by Luek on Monday March 11, @09:32AM EST (#25)
(User #358 Info)
Attila (the Hun??) wrote:

>>It is NOT the men who are the problem. It is >>misandry that is the problem.

I thought I pointed that out. Some self-important men in power positions, such as judges are misandric and use other men's problems particularly in divorce or child custody issues to fulfill their own personal and selfish identity needs. And that is a major problem for men in general.

>>And it resides in people.

Not all people. Just femmunists and self-loathing males who have a narcissistic need for female approval regardless of the consequences to others.

>>You have the gall to question masculinity?

Whose masculinity? What is your definition of masculinity. You haven't defined it?

>>It is that form of sexism that is used by the trolls to slay us all.

I am not a troll. I don't think you or anybody else is in danger of mortal death by "trolls" using your undefined sexism charge.

>>If you ever question my masculinity in anything less than a very close friendship I will personally knock you on your ass.

Again, you use masculinity in ambiguous undefined terms. Can't respond if I don't know exactly what you are talking about.

>>Do you think that will prove to you that I am man enough????

Nope, I consider threats and use of physical violence as felonious assault and not a trait of masculinity. Don't do it. You may get a lot more than you bargained for.

>>Would you like to be on the board of penis inspectors and check out all the men to see if they are "real men" before you sign their cards of masculine approval????

No, I will pass on that. I wasn't aware such a board of inspection existed.
Would you be more specific? Is it a state or federal entity?

>>Please stop with the male bashing, you fascist.

I believe it is constructive criticism, not male bashing. No, I am not a fascist.

Re:Time for Courage (Score:1)
by Attila on Saturday March 09, @10:04AM EST (#22)
(User #685 Info)
Pray, what is a "real" man? The rest of your observation is forthright and accurate. If you will look at the rest of this thread you may discover that only that flaw in your supposition has led us to miss your point. It is definitely a time for courage, not male bashing.
they left out something (Score:1)
by crescentluna (evil_maiden@yahoo.com) on Friday March 08, @11:16AM EST (#3)
(User #665 Info)
That while this lovely exhibit, part of a larger piece called "Triumphs Over Domestic Violence" (because putting ceramic penises on a string shows you're a strong brave woman - riight) another exhibit with the American Flag wasn't put up because "It might offend someone." Apparently, anti-patriots [who are few and far between] have more fragile emotions than men. Bob Rowan replaced the penises with the Flag, making the name of the piece now amazingly ironic.
Re:they left out something (Score:1)
by TheWill on Friday March 08, @05:17PM EST (#14)
(User #711 Info)
The absurdity of the American people and the legislature today is just appalling. I cannot understand why many citizens are so set on being self-destructive. It just makes me want to slap them!
--
TheWill
Hey, Thomas! (Score:2)

Don't forget the sacred cow argument (Score:1, Insightful)
by Adam H (adam@mensactivism.org) on Friday March 08, @11:50AM EST (#5)
(User #362 Info)
If anybody out there gets a chance to talk to bob, tell him to use the sacred cow argument. Namely if it happened to the nearest black, woman, or jew would it be acceptable?

It's an argument we should use more often.

Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by Thomas on Friday March 08, @12:05PM EST (#6)
(User #280 Info)
You still wanting to organize a protest up there in Boulder?

I've spoken with Bob a number of times about all this. At this time, he and his attorneys want things to stay quiet, at least until the trial is over. Unfortunately, even though he's expressed interest in having a demonstration afterwards, every time that I've tried to get him to put me in contact with any of the media people he knows, he just rambles on for a very long time and nothing is ever accomplished.

I suspect that if I call the big-shot radio personalities, who have covered his story and interviewed him, I'll never hear back. Also, I'm not sure that we'd have much of a demonstration without Bob's help with contacts. Frankly, I've gotten pretty tired of spending time chasing down dead ends on this.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Friday March 08, @01:05PM EST (#8)
Are there any billboards for rent in the city?
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by Thomas on Friday March 08, @01:21PM EST (#9)
(User #280 Info)
Are there any billboards for rent in the city?

Probably. Are you interested in renting one? Do you know someone who is?
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Friday March 08, @02:32PM EST (#10)
Just a crazy idea, but I thought a billboard going up on the first day of the trial and remaining up for the duration might be a good protest. Of course, I don't have any more money than anyone else does, but if someone was to organize a fund, then I think I could cough up a couple bucks.

Something like "It's eleven o'clock! do you know where YOUR penis is?" and in small print "fight feminist terrorism and the demonization of men" and then a list of men's DV websites.

ceiloblu
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by warble (activistwarble@yahoo.com) on Friday March 08, @04:28PM EST (#11)
(User #643 Info)
Something like "It's eleven o'clock! do you know where YOUR penis is?" and in small print "fight feminist terrorism and the demonization of men" and then a list of men's DV websites.

Great idea. I'd cough up a few bucks...anybody know how to organize this, who to contact, the costs, etc. ?

Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by Thomas on Friday March 08, @05:07PM EST (#13)
(User #280 Info)
Just so everyone knows, Bob Rowan and his lawyer would like things to stay quiet about all this until after Bob's trial.

When I spoke with Bob this afternoon, he told me that his next court appearance is May 9. It wasn't clear to me what will happen that day, but Bob did say that it won't be the trial. It also wasn't clear to me exactly when the trial will be. The date for that might not be set yet.

As for protests--I'm willing to do foot work and research. Perhaps, when the timing seems right, we could do something like rent a billboard. Personally, if Bob is convicted, I'd like to see a boycott of Boulder--every business, the parks, everything.

An additional point that I think is important--if we demonstrate, I think that we should do so at least as much in protest against the original display as in solidarity with Bob. What he did was brave and I commend him for it, but I think we would be best off focussing on the bigger picture and not getting bogged down with the specifics of his case.

Anyway, as far as finances, perhaps if he's willing we'd all trust Scott to handle the money. Admittedly that's a lot to ask, but he has a reputation for integrity, and if I'm purchasing billboard space I wouldn't want to be in charge of the money.

In any case, for now I'm going to respect the wishes of Bob and his attorney and not make any waves about all of this.
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by Scott (scott@mensactivism.org) on Friday March 08, @05:27PM EST (#15)
(User #3 Info)
"Anyway, as far as finances, perhaps if he's willing we'd all trust Scott to handle the money."

I'm sorry but I'm not willing to take on this responsibility at this time. (I assume you were referring to me)

Scott
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by Thomas on Friday March 08, @05:47PM EST (#17)
(User #280 Info)
I'm sorry but I'm not willing to take on this responsibility at this time. (I assume you were referring to me)

I was referring to you and I'm not surprised. Your hands are very full. A while after I made that post, I decided I probably should have asked you first. Sorry about any inconvenience that may have caused.
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by Tony (menrights@aol.com) on Saturday March 09, @01:01AM EST (#19)
(User #363 Info)
Ditto! I would donate a few bucks as well to a well thoughtout billboard
Tony H
Re:Hey, Thomas! (Score:1)
by Uberganger on Monday March 11, @04:49AM EST (#24)
(User #308 Info)
Great idea. I'd donate a few pounds Sterling. Hurry, while the exchange rate is good.