Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:27:00 -0800 (PST)
From: "Steve"
Subject: Boulder Public Library/Shelter
To: boulder.da@co.boulder.co.us
CC: cbi.denver@cdps.state.co.us

Hello,

In regards to the federally funded display of severed penises in Boulder Public Library and false claims of overwhelming male perpetrated domestic violence by Boulder County Safehouse, it is a violation of federal law to use federal funds for the purpose of creating division or encouraging hatred of any identifiable group, in this case the male gender. It is further a
violation to sexually harass or intimidate any
identifiable group, in this case the male gender,
using federal funds or a federally funded institution.

The shelter promotes claims of near male only domestic crimes based on false statements fabricated in the 1970s. The Department of Justice, the Centers for Disease Control and countless independent studies have disproven these claims/accusations year after year. For this federally funded women's shelter to ignore
the facts and use federal funds to promote slander of the male gender when factual information is readily available is an abuse of their federal funds and a violation of the civil rights of male taxpayers.

The Boulder County Safehouse's webpage provides clear examples of the shelter's false and slanderous claims

The public library displayed an exhibit that was
clearly intended as a threat of genital mutilation to all male patrons and an expression of hatred of males by the artist, who was apparently paid with federal monies by Boulder County Safehouse. The library has clearly violated the civil rights of all male patrons and misused its federal funding in displaying this hate and sexual violence promoting art in a federal building.

The male patron who took down the display, Robert
Rowan, made public statements clearly indicating his feelings of being harassed by the display. His actions demonstrate that he was more afraid of the
consequences of leaving the display of hate and sexual violence up than the consequences of taking it down illegally.

I insist that both the Boulder Public Library and the Women's Shelter be prosecuted for sexually harassing all male library patrons and for misusing their funding in a manner blatantly violating the civil rights of male patrons, and specifically the patron Robert Rowan.

Sincerely,
Steven Jones
phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Re:...what else is new
by remarksman on Wednesday November 14, @02:44PM EST (#4)
(User #241 Info)
the aclu long ago abandoned any semblance of objectivity or authentic loyalty to the constitution or citizens of america

they are a monster of hypocrisy spawned by the modern left, a fitting counterpoint to the totalitarian war on american citizens codified by the right

it's gonna get a lot worse, and soon --"terrorism" will expand to include anyone perceived by the state as a threat -- and the state currently consists of the most radical, selfish, power-addicted elements of both left and right

it will take nothing less than full-on cultural revolution to dislodge the toxic twins from their throne

the a.c.l.u.'s lust to prosecute mr. rowan is also ludicrous -- when will we learn that revenge and cages only deepen everyone's suffering?

i understand the reaction of people who wanted to destroy or remove the exhibit -- i'm glad that, at long last, men are expressing their outrage after thirty years of emasculation

i also grant that a valid argument can be made that the exhibit had no place in a tax-funded building

the principle, however, remains one of free expression in an increasingly un-free country, which i would not impede except in direst circumstance (e.g., yelling "fire" in a movie theatre)

the more radical and hateful the expressions of misandry, the more opportunity to expose and make conscious this sickness

i do not want rowan, or anyone else, deciding for me what i can or can't see

he shoulda stuck to blabbering in the bars
I want to express myself, too.
by Rams on Wednesday November 14, @03:05PM EST (#5)
(User #191 Info)
You guys think I could get some grant money to take some time off and craft a bunch of ceramic boobs? That would be swell!

Sounds like something that hyperactive guy with the jacket with question marks all over it would tell you about in his commercial about how to get money from the government. You know that commercial I'm talking about?

What would I call my exhibit? Hmmm... dozens of ceramic boobs all over a wall with a clothesline full of hanging dollar bills. "Taking Men to the Cleaners"???

Well, gotta' go write a grant.
Re:I want to express myself, too.
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday November 14, @03:13PM EST (#6)
(User #187 Info) http://www.jameshanbackjr.com
Heh. I say go for it Rams. ;)
Write the ACLU
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday November 14, @03:25PM EST (#7)
(User #187 Info) http://www.jameshanbackjr.com
By the way, I suggest you (as I have) make your displeasure known to the Boulder chapter of the ACLU, your local chapter, AND the national organization. You can write to the national organization at http://www.aclu.org.

Remind them that they are against sexual harrassment, especially in a publicly funded institution.

Re:Write the ACLU
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday November 14, @03:36PM EST (#8)
(User #187 Info) http://www.jameshanbackjr.com
You can e-mail the Boulder chapter of the ACLU here:

info@aclu-co.org

Their Web site is here:

http://www.aclu-co.org/
Re:...what else is new
by Subversive on Wednesday November 14, @03:39PM EST (#9)
(User #343 Info)
The ACLU sure ought to set up a separate Men's Rights section, or at least change the name to Gender Equality, but at least under the Women's Rights section, their most current activity involved extending parental leave to fathers.
-----
This signature has been infected with Anthrax. Take your medicine.
Re:...what else is new
by Subversive on Wednesday November 14, @04:38PM EST (#10)
(User #343 Info)
You know, actually it occurs to me that this may be an opportunity. Perhaps it might help if a number of people wrote the ACLU, refered to this case, and told them that categorizing paternity leave as a Woman's Rights issue instead of as Men's Rights or Gender Equality promotes the same sort of sexist attitudes and gender discimination that they should be trying to discourage. I've written my letter.
-----
This signature has been infected with Anthrax. Take your medicine.
Re:I want to express myself, too.
by frank h on Wednesday November 14, @06:17PM EST (#11)
(User #141 Info)
Rams,

I believe that for much less money and time you can buy plastic boobs in the form of ice cube trays at any novelty store :-)

Frank H
Foofaraw?
by frank h on Wednesday November 14, @06:43PM EST (#12)
(User #141 Info)
Not to make light of this situation, but I found the following phrase amusing: "foofaraw over phalluses..." I'm sorry, but the word foofaraw is a new one on me and it just made me laugh. What in God's name is a foofaraw?

But in the polling, I did find one thing rather offensive: the default vote is "Yes." This indicates to me an overriding prejudice on the part of the Rocky Mountain News. I'm not surprised at all, but I am offended.

I note that at the time my vote was cast, it was about 65% to 35% in favor of Rowan's action.

Frank H
Re:Foofaraw?
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Thursday November 15, @03:14PM EST (#13)
(User #187 Info) http://www.jameshanbackjr.com
But in the polling, I did find one thing rather offensive: the default vote is "Yes." This indicates to me an overriding prejudice on the part of the Rocky Mountain News. I'm not surprised at all, but I am offended.

Indeed. There's no need to put a default vote in there at all. Leave them all blank and let the voter decide.