Title: Ad world "dumbs down" American males

Author: Neal Learner

Date: June 4, 2001

Mayor Candidate Wants More DV Cases Pushed Into Court | John Leo: Miffing the Myth Makers  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Not suprised about negative stereotyping of men... (Score:1)
by cheddah on Wednesday June 06, @05:19PM EST (#1)
(User #190 Info)

The good thing about the article is that AT LEAST someone is addressing the truth about the media and the way it portrays men (but not without adding the usual hypocritical comment like - "men like being portrayed as idiots ???)

All one has to do is watch 1 hour of television and it is easy to determine which gender receives a negative portrayal on TV.

Almost every show has an idiotic male that is the source of amusement, while the female roles get portrayed as somewhat superior to their male counterparts. And the commercials are even worse.

The medias depiction of men as idiots is probably the single largest source of daily sexist propaganda that exists without any real public concern or outcry.

Related article. (Score:1)
by Scott (scott@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday June 06, @05:32PM EST (#2)
(User #3 Info) http://www.vortxweb.net/gorgias/mens_issues/index.html
Related to this subject was an article I wrote fo the UNH school newspaper:

Male Bashing: Today's Politically Correct Sport?

http://www.tnh.unh.edu/issues/032301/opinion/male.html

Scott
Express Yourself (Score:2)
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday June 06, @06:48PM EST (#3)
(User #187 Info)
I'd like to encourage everyone offended by this article and the media's portrayl of men to write oped@csmonitor.com and express yourself. I did. Unfortunately, I could not restrain myself from using phrases like "bigot asses." Hopefully, the rest of guys can be more tactful. :(
Privileged even by being bashed? (Score:1)
by Hawth on Thursday June 07, @09:59AM EST (#4)
(User #197 Info)
One thing in particular that bugs me about this article - and I've seen the same thing in similar articles and statements - is the "men welcome the bashing because it excuses our bad behavior" theory. Thus, even when men are raked across the coals, it still affords privileges for us somehow, and insinuates that women should actually be more concerned and angry than men about the male bashing epidemic because, alas, it will ultimately mean more responsibility lowered upon their shoulders to be "the good ones." (And feminists often cite this corollary to turn other, more serious men's issues into women's issues as well - for example, that women's longer life span is ultimately their cross, not ours; that men being shortchanged in custody cases means women get saddled with all the child-rearing woes; that birth control and abortion rights for women (and not men) means that women are beleaguered with "choices" we lucky males never have to face, and so forth; to read this "wisdom" over and over again is to make you seriously wonder if men are just born winners and women are born losers).

I was also nettled by that one guy's remark about "men, God help us!" Obviously yet another indoctrinated male who peacefully accepts that his Y chromosome is a birth defect. He's entitled to feel however he wants, but I deeply resent him (and the author of the article) for voicing his opinion as part of an obvious, "well-intentioned" effort to inspire other men to adopt the same "humble" attitude.

By the way, I'm a new user (though not a new reader). Greetings, all!

Re:Privileged even by being bashed? (Score:1)
by Scott (scott@mensactivism.org) on Thursday June 07, @02:00PM EST (#5)
(User #3 Info) http://www.vortxweb.net/gorgias/mens_issues/index.html
Greetings, Hawth - I hope you enjoy this site. Someone e-mailed me and mentioned that the correct address to e-mail the Monitor is:

OpEd@csps.com

Be sure to try that if the first address you used bounces.

Scott
Re:Privileged even by being bashed? (Score:2)
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Thursday June 07, @03:05PM EST (#6)
(User #187 Info)
My mistake on the e-mail address. Sorry. By the way, I'd be interested to know what those of you who send e-mail to the Monitor are saying (or if your messages are published). If you are so inclined, please share. I would share my comments, but I deleted my message to them before I thought about it. :(

Also, the Monitor editorial staff says they will NOT read or publish your opinion unless you include your name, city, and state.

Re:Privileged even by being bashed? (Score:1)
by Scott (scott@mensactivism.org) on Thursday June 07, @03:28PM EST (#7)
(User #3 Info) http://www.vortxweb.net/gorgias/mens_issues/index.html
frank h found out that Timothy Burke's email address at Swarthmore is tburke1@swarthmore.edu. You might want to e-mail him directly about how he was quoted in the article, but I want to stress that messages to him should be civil, and not antagonistic.

Scott