Stanford Prof. Delaney Taken to Task for Blaming Child Abuse on Men
posted by Scott on Wednesday August 28, @04:31PM
from the domsetic-violence dept.
Domestic Violence Many of you will recall Stanford Assoc. Prof. Carol Delaney's short letter in the San Fransisco Chronicle blaming men for child abductions and abuse. While a flurry of letters was sent in after that letter, both to Stanford and to the Chronicle, Keith Thompson wrote an excellent editorial on the subject that was printed today in the SFC. His discussion of how violence is unfairly seen as masculine and all of the evidence that refutes this notion is excellent. Read it here.

Male Sexual Abuse Survivor Conference | Julia Child Thanks Her Husband in Reader's Digest  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by frank h on Wednesday August 28, @05:40PM EST (#1)
(User #141 Info)
Good article, although I would have liked it more if his teeth had been sharper.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:1)
by Scott (scott@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday August 28, @05:55PM EST (#3)
(User #3 Info)
"Good article, although I would have liked it more if his teeth had been sharper."

Really? I thought the part at the end where he made a mockery of the idea that "decent men" must take responsibility for violence was really powerful.

Also, if anything, well-reasoned and paced articles such as this one are more likely to put Prof. Delaney in hot water at Stanford. Isn't an associate professor one who hasn't earned tenure yet?

Scott
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by frank h on Wednesday August 28, @06:12PM EST (#4)
(User #141 Info)
Perhaps you're right, Scott. I'm just used to reading some of the venomous stuff posted on the Internet, and it just seems anymore that what gets printed in the newspapers is milktoast. Not sure about the tenure thing, though I'm pretty sure there are full professors out ther without tenure. Perhaps one needs to be a full professor in order to be a candidate for tenure. Either way, the things I read from her higher-ups seemed to offer her a lot of support, so I don't imagine this furor will have any deleterious effect on her career, though it should.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by Marc Angelucci on Wednesday August 28, @06:25PM EST (#5)
(User #61 Info)
"so I don't imagine this furor will have any deleterious effect on her career."

You're probably right about that Frank. But I think the article's calm and rational (but still frank) tone will have alot of impact. All too often gender feminists successfully use our furor as a red herring to divert attention from the message. And it works. A tone like this puts more pressure on opponents to not change the subject by attacking the messenger. I loved the article. Unfortunately we rarely see the actual impact. We usually can only measure it by noting incremental changes. But the impact is there. Articles like this are reasons to cheer. I wrote Kieth and thanked him wholeheartedly. We need more of this, that's for sure.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by Thomas on Wednesday August 28, @06:28PM EST (#6)
(User #280 Info)
I wrote Kieth and thanked him wholeheartedly.

I also wrote and thanked him. He deserves our gratitude and support.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:1)
by Ray on Wednesday August 28, @09:27PM EST (#12)
(User #873 Info)
I too thanked Keith.

Marc is right, if their is any official discipline of Dr. Delaney, it most likely will not be made public, therefore never publicaly known. I would be willing to bet there has been some discussion between Dr. Delaney and her administrators, wherein they ask her for clarification of exactly what it was she was trying to say, and stressing the need for sensitivity in public relations with all parties for the good of the public image of Stanford University.

They are not so big or wealthy that they can afford to make a policy of thumbing their nose at the public in difficult economic times.

I suspect hidden under all of this may be a small victory of sorts. ...and the growing awareness that pot shots against all men based on the behavior of a few will no longer go unanswered by men of good will. "All that is necessary for evil to prosper is for men of good will to do nothing."

EVERYBODY DO SOMETHING, whatever your time, talents, and treasures permit. Don't lose hope, collectively the impact is beginning to be felt so "gird up your loins" and with diligence and good strategy press the battle home to the oppressors in whatever small or large way that you can. I for one will greatly appreciate it, and revel in even the smallest of victories.
Sincerely, Ray
Ray
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:1)
by Dan Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Wednesday August 28, @11:29PM EST (#13)
(User #722 Info) http://www.fathersforlife.org/fv/Dan_Lynch_on_EP.htm
Discipline her *haw*. If she was at Whellesey they probably would have insured her tenure. Im almost half inclined to think this is the case here.

Going at her is one thing but really the people around her and *obove* her is the best route.

The mindless drones of the feminist movement eat this shit up like candy. It somehow satisfies their day.

Although I enjoy the email lists Im a part of and posting on this board, I would really like to get these articles out to people who do not usually read these sorts of things.
.
Dan Lynch
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:1)
by Uberganger on Thursday August 29, @03:30AM EST (#16)
(User #308 Info)

EVERYBODY DO SOMETHING, whatever your time, talents, and treasures permit.

Sounds like Stanford could do with a serious outbreak of mensactivism stickers round about now. Watchword for the men's movement #1: Capitalise.

Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Thursday August 29, @12:33AM EST (#15)
Remember, there was a time when we wouldn't have even seen THIS much.
Slowly, We are seeing Millitant feminist types asked and at times DEMANDED to back up their statements.
There WAS a time when that was not EVER the case.

We should turn this into a momentum. Keep the pressure on the Marx-fems.
ANYTIME they make a statement about Men, We MUST demand they pony-up and show us PROOF of what they say. They have demanded no LESS from us.
FAIR is FAIR, right?
AND because WE do have the statistical facts to prove what WE say, and They..., well, MAKE UP nearly everything they say, WHOM will ultimatly win out in the credibility department?

Okay, maybe I tend to be a BIT optimistic.

        Thundercloud.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by frank h on Thursday August 29, @07:41AM EST (#17)
(User #141 Info)
"...I would really like to get these articles out to people who do not usually read these sorts of things."

Therein lies the rub. We're preaching to the choir here, aren't we? Well, the choir and the few trolls who happen our way. Though I will say that there are new visitors here who don't necessarily post. I, myself, visited off and on for quite awhile before I posted anything.

The key to the kind of public education Dan is talking about is, more than anything else, recruitment.

Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:1)
by Dan Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Thursday August 29, @02:10PM EST (#26)
(User #722 Info) http://www.fathersforlife.org/fv/Dan_Lynch_on_EP.htm
"The key to the kind of public education Dan is talking about is, more than anything else, recruitment. "

At least objectivity amongst the masses. I do get new recruits all the time, and I enjoy educating them against the standard acceptances of what feminists put out there.

One thing I do is just print off articles and hand them out. Many people I know just don't have computers and mainstream media is not really pushing this.

I know it sounds really slow to do it one person at a time, but its all I've got so Im going to do it.
.
Dan Lynch
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by Marc Angelucci on Saturday August 31, @07:53PM EST (#38)
(User #61 Info)
I sent a copy of the article, with a link, to the CA state legislators, county supervisors, and others. I keep an email list that I use occasionally for articles like this. It takes very little time and helps chip away slowly at the rock.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by Marc Angelucci on Saturday August 31, @07:55PM EST (#39)
(User #61 Info)
"Sounds like Stanford could do with a serious outbreak of mensactivism stickers round about now."

Good thinking. I know local L.A. activists who've done exactly that with certain local colleges. I'll pass the word about Stanford. So true.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by Marc Angelucci on Monday September 02, @04:22PM EST (#40)
(User #61 Info)
"Discipline her *haw*."

No, they won't discipline her. But that's not really what matters. Her academic peers are one of the main audiences here. Direct name-calling does some good, but among academics, the subtle attack in this article (which at the end cleverly infers she is not a decent person and she exploits the university) carries more sting than direct name-calling does.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:1)
by Mars (olaf_stapledon@yahoo.com) on Wednesday August 28, @06:35PM EST (#7)
(User #73 Info)
"Good article, although I would have liked it more if his teeth had been sharper."

Really? I thought the part at the end where he made a mockery of the idea that "decent men" must take responsibility for violence was really powerful.

I tend to agree with Frank H here; the author stops somewhat short of calling Delaney an anti-male bigot outright.

One thing that could have been done is to susbstitute "white" for "woman" and "black" for "man" in every statement Delaney made; the result would have been so racist that one could ask how it is that we don't recoil from the original, even though it's every bit as bigoted.
We don't dismiss the threat of imminent nuclear war between India and Packistan as an asian problem and express dismay that more decent asians don't do something about it; there's something abhorrently smug about such statements, and Delaney's "concern" about the inaction of decent men ought to be recognized as such...
unless I'm heavy handed and the more tempered approach is ultimately more effective.
Re:Sharper Teeth (Score:2)
by Thomas on Wednesday August 28, @06:38PM EST (#8)
(User #280 Info)
unless I'm heavy handed and the more tempered approach is ultimately more effective.

I think the two styles complement each other. Neither would be as effective alone as they are together.
Wonderful! (Score:2)
by Thomas on Wednesday August 28, @05:40PM EST (#2)
(User #280 Info)
The truth is finally coming out. Just a few years ago it would have been far more difficult, if not impossible, to find such honesty in the mainstream media.
Email to Stanford (Score:1)
by Ray on Wednesday August 28, @08:38PM EST (#9)
(User #873 Info)
I have as yet received no reply from Stanford University following sending this e-mail to numerous addresses, including Provost Etchemendy and the President of the Associated Students. ...proving once again that when you're a woman, you walk on water and have no accoutability.

Provost John Etchemendy, et. al.:

I am writing to you about an article that was published in the San Francisco Chronicle on August 5, 2002 by Dr. Carol Delaney titled, “CRIMES ARE BY MALES.” Dr. Delaney stated at the end of her article that she was an Associate Professor at Stanford University. I am also writing to you about your subsequent reply to Trudy Schuett, concerning Dr. Delaney’s article, in which you enumerate some of Stanford’s policies, and use them to rationalize the existence of Dr. Delaney’s article. Your letter to Trudy Schuett, and Dr. Delaney’s article are both accessible through Mens News Daily, http:\\www.mensnewsdaily.com/storiesreader080702.h tm

In your letter you state, “I shudder to think what our country would be like if such disagreements were not permitted.” Personally, I’m shuddering now to see what you and your ilk have done to the good, decent men of our country with such hate speech (based on gender) as that uttered by Dr. Delaney in the aforementioned article. Since you are a top ranking administrator at Stanford University (Provost), and such a great defender of free speech, I beg your indulgence to the following few words I submit for your consideration.

With any great freedom goes an equally great responsibility not to misuse or abuse it. Dr. Delaney appears to have become undisciplined in her critical thinking to the point, that she has allowed assumptions to be made and stated that are not substantiated with proper research and facts.

Furthermore, although you state, in reference to Dr. Delaney’s article that you, “happen disagree with the substance,” you go on to say that, “Stanford... ...#1. “tolerates, and indeed encourages, a broad diversity of opinions... ...free and open debate.” You ask, ““I would be interested to know which of the above policies you consider a “tragedy.”?”

The “tragedy” has been the irresponsible and obtuse use of free speech to spread hatred onto a victimized and oppressed class of people (men), while under the guise of a respected member of the faculty of a prestigious university (Stanford). Dr. Delaney says, “These hideous crimes are being committed by men.” I say, “a small percentage of all men.” Dr. Delaney says, “What has gone so wrong in the rearing of men in this society.” I say, “Look directly at what has gone wrong in the lives of those individual men, and do not link all “men” into one group as if to say we are all in some way involved in committing those heinous crimes.” At Stanford University, apparently, it is condoned that this kind of aforementioned, irresponsible, hate speech is allowed to be spewed upon the developing young minds who are held captive to the graduation requirements of their discipline. Is this a captive audience who, in the long term, may come to focus their learned prejudice onto that, now demonized, class of battered and victimized men that Dr. Delaney has so maligned.

To be specific, let me say that I am equally concerned about: #1. the victimization of men by this negative stereotyping, and #2 the developing of young minds at Stanford into a prejudiced view point of the male gender. When I considering the destruction and tragedy that has been wrought on this world by the atrocities of the Nazi era in history I am disgusted to find any flavor of that kind of prejudiced and demented reasoning still going on.

The bigoted spiel put on by Dr. Delaney in her article sickens me. Without the facade of your prestigious university (Stanford) attached to her story, I would not have been nearly so outraged. If, while standing in the checkout line, I had encountered Dr. Delaney’s story on the cover of some supermarket tabloid, a vehicle much more suited to her hip shooting style of unscholarly sensationalism, I would have taken it much more in stride.

Vilifying hate speech against all men as a evil homogeneous group, having no individual differences or redeeming qualities, must have a stop, NOW! I, for one, will not tolerate being treated so hatefully just for being male and alive.

As a California taxpayer, I am appalled that even one cent of my hard earned money should go to such an institution as yours. Your Ombudsperson’s ethical principals document states that she does not act on 3rd party complaints. Therefore, based on the above paragraphs, the comments of Dr. Delaney and subsequently you, I have no recourse but to say that it is my layman’s “opinion” that any “MAN” ( faculty member, student, or staff) who has the misfortune to be actively involved with Stanford University would be wise to contact the Ombudsperson directly at Stanford University and file a complaint concerning the verifiably hostile environment that men are subject to there, because of their gender. This would go double for any male student who is enrolled in any course of study under Dr. Carol Delaney.

If any male faculty member had uttered such hateful nonsense about women as Dr. Delaney uttered about men, I suspect he would already be subject to the “politically correct” discipline process, and most likely be on his way out the door. Isn’t it about time men see some equal justice in these kinds of affairs or is this just another area in the institutionalized mindset, where the only thing seen is CRIMES ARE BY MEN?

Sincerely, Ray Blumhorst

Before this story their was her book... (Score:1)
by Ray on Wednesday August 28, @08:56PM EST (#10)
(User #873 Info)
Before this story their was Dr.Carol Delaney's book, "Abraham on Trial, The Social Legacy of Biblical Myth,"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691 059853/qid=1030585723/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-441511 8-1088714?v=glance&s=booksies.

You only need read the reviews to see that, before the book, their, apparently, was a brainwashing at the hands of tax payer funded, male bashing, Women's Studies programs.
Ray
Ray
Re:Before this story their was her book... (Score:1)
by Ray on Wednesday August 28, @09:06PM EST (#11)
(User #873 Info)

bad... Should have been "there" not "their" (twice). Also my name twice... oops! tired now... sleep.
Ray
Don't feel bad, Ray. (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Thursday August 29, @03:30PM EST (#29)
...I've had a REALLY bad case of the flu here lately.
I too, on another thread, printed my name twice, And on yet another thread spelled my name; "ThunderSloud."
I'm a lousy speller as it is. (I haven't spoken English all my life) But this was BAD even for me.

So, don't feel bad, We all go through times like this. THEN we come back stronger than before.

        Thundercloud.
  (Spelled it right this time.)

Re:Before this story their was her book... (Score:1)
by Dan Lynch (dan047@sympatico.ca) on Wednesday August 28, @11:59PM EST (#14)
(User #722 Info) http://www.fathersforlife.org/fv/Dan_Lynch_on_EP.htm
I guess Delany must have skipped all that "self sacrifice" bit evident in the bible.

Jesus himself explains " I and the father are one" is this not true for Abraham? In fact Abraham was going to kill himself for the greatness and good of god. And what was Abraham's reward for doing such a deed? God gave him what he and his wife dreamed of their greatest joy a son.

One thing about western culture that Delaney has forgotton about such historical collections is, their litature does not work in such a linear fashion.

We follow more closely the greeks which is what the 4 apostles were originally written in. Christianity follows more of the linear fashion that we do. Yet the writers of the books were also trained in Hebrew I find that the new testement fully explains the old as well as pushing for an even greater understanding of what manhood is about.

Feminists I find don't really like the bible, but these books were written by men for men. Im sorry if that sounds sexist but it is invariably true. This is not to say that women can not enjoy the eternal wisdom of these books.

I expect that in future more litrature will be written concerning man and spirituality concerning and in relation to women to make it seem more inclusive. But in the end it will be as about the same as writting a book for men on how the experience of pregnancy and child birth will be.

Ironically this is why men are always sacrificing their sons. They sacrifice their first born son for that of the world. Just like god sacrificed his only begotton son. Are we not in his image? We are sacrificing our selves which to the Hebrews means sacrificing your first born son. Get it? I and the father are one?
.
Dan Lynch
The Last Exchange with Stanford (Score:2)
by Trudy W Schuett on Thursday August 29, @10:22AM EST (#18)
(User #116 Info)
Well, this does make me feel a bit better about the whole mess! Here's the final exchange: