Title: A model example of single motherhood?

Author: Penny Lewis

Date: January 28, 2002

Ford Advert Ruled Offensive | "Deadbeat" Dad Actually "Dead-Broke"  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
prostitution (Score:1)
by plumber on Sunday February 03, @06:16PM EST (#1)
(User #301 Info)
Another sad example of how the model of prostitution has become deeply embedded in Western family law: men are required to pay money because they have sex. Morever, for men, having sex has nothing to do with anything other than paying money. Legally, there are "mothers and children" and "men who pay money", called fathers.

This will change. It's just a question of how long it will take.
Choices (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Sunday February 03, @07:26PM EST (#2)
Men: Don't have kids; Don't donate sperm; Don't get married.

It seems like we have no choice now, unfortunately.
Re:Choices (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Sunday February 03, @10:12PM EST (#3)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
If I had known ...

Abstinance or vasectomy is our only choice.

This is the kind of education the our young men should be getting in school.

Boys, if you get her pregnant you will be obligated for most of your working life.
The harder you work, the less you will keep.
The decission is yours just let be informed.

Re:Choices (Score:1)
by Lorianne on Sunday February 03, @11:01PM EST (#5)
(User #349 Info)
Good advice.
Re:Choices (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Sunday February 03, @11:51PM EST (#6)
But you can't have a vasectomy unless you're older. They won't perform one unless you're old or already have lots of kids.

So abstinence is the only thing to do.
Re:Choices (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Monday February 04, @12:30AM EST (#7)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
Ahh so what you are saying is that women can have abortions, but men can't have vasectomies.

Sounds like a blatant charter of rights violation.
We make it legal to kill a fetus, but not to allow men to have a choice in their reproductive rolls.
Now that is an issue worth going to jail for.

WE WANT VESECTOMIES ON DEMAND!!!

Should give those fems a second thought.
Get one anyway, what doctor would refuse ?? (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Monday February 04, @12:34AM EST (#8)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
In fact, I would say in light of this issue men could argue that because vasectomies are illegal then they can't be held libal for their unwanted children.
If you keep vasectomies illegal then how can men be said to have a meaningful choice about sexual intercourse between consenting adults without the risk of parenthood.
Think "Federal Court" (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Monday February 04, @02:54PM EST (#11)
donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) wrote:
>men could argue that because vasectomies are
>illegal then they can't be held libal for
>their unwanted children.

It won't work.

You might be surprised to learn how many unreasonable ways state courts have found to force men into fatherhood. A review of state paternity case law reveals that no matter how bizarrely or outrageously men are treated, whether men are lied to about contraception, or even when guys are raped, state paternity laws give men no protection.

If I were being forced into fatherhood again, I'd aim for Federal Court.

Kingsley G. Morse Jr.
Reproductive Rights Chairman
National Center for Men
www.choiceformen.com
Re:Think "Federal Court" (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Monday February 04, @04:59PM EST (#14)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
Hello, It would be an interesting paradox.

When I was in High School Circa 1969, a group of us (Girls and Boys) From David And Mary Thomson Collegiate (High School) in Scarborough(Toronto now), went down to the University of Toronto Campus SAC office and picked up a small box of Birth Control Handbooks. LOL it was a real radical publication for the time - a clenched fist on the cover and all of that. We brought them back and put them on a table outside of the Student Council Meeting Room within view of the "Malcom X" poster on the wall. Hey Kids! get your birth control hand books.
What a riot!! A hell brook loose. We were told point blank to get those things off of the school property.
We did. That night or a couple of nights later, after a meeting with the group, we went back down to the U of T and brought back several 1,000 copies in someone's truck.
We all then stood at different access ways to the school grounds (but not exactly on school property) and gave every kid who walked by a copy. When we assumed we had covered the general population of the school we headed back in to the school.
ROFLMA
They were all over the corridors from one end of the school to the other and on both the upper and lower levels (school population was about 3,500).
It was breath-taking. The vice principal was livid and ordered me into the office as the police had been called - I was fingered as the ringleader at the time - almost got expelled from school till the newspapers got a hold of the story. My mom still has the news paper copy in her drawer somewhere.

Anyway, after a very public meeting with school board and several hundred kids, and reporters, the school let us keep the books in the room to be given only to those kids who "asked" for them.

********************************
My point is that change is not impossible even in the face of Public Rage and Religious Bigotry.

It will be interesting to see who makes references to a vasectomy not being reversible. That was always the argument given to me. My response has always been The Birth of a child is not reversible either.

PS (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Monday February 04, @05:18PM EST (#15)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
I think the prospect of several million young men (if not 10s of millions of young men) opting out of parenting 100 % by having vasectomies would just scare the living shit out of any government.
Most industry leaders would find the prospect of such a move unthinkable. My take is more laid back, vasectomies may not be reversible as we speak today but if they can transplant hearts and they can transplant livers then they can undo vasectomies. It may take a little time to perfect and a little research but it is just a temporary "Road-block" to quote an esteemed member from this website.

Maybe abortion clinics will do it off of the record for a fee directly to the clinic.

I think if young men accross the country and across all western nations had the proceedure done in the next year or so, and then informed the their repective goverment bodies that they had done so, it would be better than any class action law suit as the birth rate fell to near zero and hospitals across the world had to close their maternity wards. OBYGyns Closed up shop or went bankrupt children's wear industries bit the dust. The schools had almost no children for their kindergarten classes. marriages ceased to happen, you know a kind of Ghandi-esque revolt against insane child welfare regulations.
All men across the world held a 5 year moratorium on sireing children.

It could be done you know.
It would be an awsome force of change.
Re:Choices (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Monday February 04, @08:39AM EST (#10)
It's true it is very hard to get a vasectomy when you're young. I got mine when I was 30, and I saw three doctors who refused to do it. The fourth one did, but was reluctant about it. The three who refused felt it was part of their professional ethics to decline doing the procedure, and didn't want to be blamed if I changed my mind. Can't this kind of thing be handled by a contract?
Re:Choices (Score:1)
by Thomas on Monday February 04, @03:47PM EST (#12)
(User #280 Info)
Men: Don't have kids; Don't donate sperm; Don't get married.

It seems like we have no choice now, unfortunately.

Perhaps we should be agitating to get prostitution legalized. While a whore could get pregnant, have the child and stick a man with the burden of supporting an unwanted child, she would be less likely to do so because of the way pregnancy would interfere with her job.

We have gotten to the point where the only approximation to safe sex for men may be sex with whores or gay sex. What that leaves for heterosexual men is...
Psycho Bitch (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Sunday February 03, @10:21PM EST (#4)
Who's that with a ri-ich one?
Who's having a baaastard son?
Who lies about the pill for fun?

Psycho bitch, psycho bitch, psycho bitch!

She's on the pill, or so he's told.
She countered it with an antibiotic, and behold!
That's OK, her biological clock was getting old!

Psycho bitch, psycho bitch, psycho bitch!

Who's that flattie over there?
Who's that skank with the icy stare?
Who's that old hag with the graaaying haaair?

Psycho bitch, psycho bitch, psycho bitch!

The Madcap Misogynist

Liz Hurley fat, ugly, skank? (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Monday February 04, @03:54PM EST (#13)
Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. What kind of women do you find attractive dude, Somalians living on insects and tree bark?
Re:Psycho Bitch (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Monday February 04, @11:28PM EST (#18)
I'm framing it :)

Remo
Fathers Have to Support The Mother-Child Too? (Score:1)
by Luek on Monday February 04, @05:05AM EST (#9)
(User #358 Info)
"""Another important aspect of parenthood is financial provision for the mother."""

This excerpt from the article sounds like the mother is considered a child under law and is entitled to financial support from her "husband-father" because of her "minor child status" she is assumed to be too damned mentally incompetent to support herself.

Gee! What fun! Now men have a 100 plus pound woman-child to $upport.

Re:Fathers Have to Support The Mother-Child Too? (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Monday February 04, @05:27PM EST (#16)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
I really think men have to get in touch with their inner penise.

Re:Fathers Have to Support The Mother-Child Too? (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Monday February 04, @06:42PM EST (#17)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
"Gee! What fun! Now men have a 100 plus pound woman-child to $upport. "

Wait just a second here, I thought that women in that weight class were all headed for combat, or work in the fire department, or police depatment.