Misandry Is A Real Word
posted by Scott on Wednesday January 02, @11:28AM
from the news dept.
News frank h writes "The letter copied below is one that I submitted to the Times Of Trenton and it was published today. There's nothing really remarkable about it, except that it does include use of the word "misandry." When submitting the letter, I made a point of asking that the word be left intact. (I covered her last name in this submission; it was not covered as such in the newspaper.)" Click Read More to view frank's letter.

In her letter of December 14, 2001, Kathryn A**** clearly demonstrates her contempt for men and all things masculine. In her attempt to grab the moral high ground, she associates men with gorillas and she is convinced that one woman can do more good than a thousand men. She says that men regard war as a hobby, an entertainment, and implies that women never engage in war or even approve of it, a myth quickly deflated after a brief inspection of the biographies of the following notable women: Queen Victoria; Indira Ghandi; Prime Minister Golda Meir; Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher; and every female member of Congress who voted in favor of Operations Desert Storm or Enduring Freedom. This is exactly this kind of misandrist bigotry that enrages Afghan women like Farida, a 30-year-old Afghan mother of two. Farida and her constituents are furious with the trashing of Afghan men that is implicit in the current outcry on the plight of Afghan women. (See Mary McGrory, December 2, 2001.)

There is no doubt that Afghan men, women, and children have suffered immensely at the hands of the Taliban, and that women’s suffering has been particularly acute. Clearly, their needs must be met. But A**** would have us believe that men are the enemy. They are not. The enemy in Afghanistan is the Taliban and their distortion of the Koran. The needs of every citizen of Afghanistan must be represented equally, including women, but allocating a given number of seats to females does not guarantee that. What Afghanistan does not need is the kind of misandrist politics espoused by the likes of Gloria Steinem, Catherine McKinnon, Andrea Dworkin, and, it would appear, Kathryn A****.

NOW Wants To Steer 9/11 Recovery Funds Away From Victims | Ann Landers on a Roll  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Misandry -please read. (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Wednesday January 02, @01:40PM EST (#1)

I have been communicating with Merriam-Webster over the omission of the word "misandry" from their online (collegiate) dictionary for 3 months now.

Even though the word meets the current standard of acceptance (i.e. recent mention in a major newspaper -LA Times, published books, references...) Rose Martino (point of contact) has given me double speak and has not been honest with me every time I contact her and follow up on it's progress.

I noted to M-W that even as an antonym "misandry" deserves to be included. The Webster dictionary recognizes every type of "dislike" in it expect for the dislike (hatred) of men. Even the hatred of marriage (coincidence that this word is politically "inline" with feminism even though it is more rare of a word than Misandry is...I think not). M-W is "towing" some political agenda instead of providing unbiased reference in it's most popular dictionary version

I have saved all the emails and intend to submit the whole charade here for review. It is unbelievable how the requirements keep shifting every time I meet M-W's demands. I have provided them with all the reference material that they need, and they threw it away.

Right now "misandry" has been put "on file" and they can't tell me if and when it will ever make it to the review process. They act as if it's some huge ordeal to add a word. Liars.

My advice to anyone that intends to submit comments to any publication - if you can include the word "misandry" please do and make sure it gets printed. This is the first criteria that they use in adding words to dictionaries.

This may seem a trivial matter, but without reference to the word "misandry" it's easy to deny that this common type of hatred even exists - and that "misandry" as a concept lacks validity.

Control the language, control the mind.

Ched

cheddah@altavista.com

Re:Misandry -please read. (Score:1)
by jaxom on Wednesday January 02, @03:38PM EST (#2)
(User #505 Info) http://clix.to/support/
I've talked with them as well and got the same response. Misandry is in the unabridged version. They feel it is not yet used enough to be in the collegiate...

I think they are wrong and bowing to pressure.

Greg
the Volksgaren Project: Intelligent Abuse Recovery, http://clix.to/support/, jaxom@amtelecom.net, 519-773-9644
Re:Misandry -please read. (Score:1)
by Ragtime (ragtimeNOSPAM@PLEASEdropby.net) on Wednesday January 02, @04:51PM EST (#3)
(User #288 Info)
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/Hu manist/v03/0328.html

Here's an excerpt from the link above. Note the dates:

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 329. Saturday, 5 Aug 1989.

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 89 07:33 CDT
From: HANLY@UOFMCC
Subject: gender specific man haters (concluded?)

Thanks to all those who have provided communications
concerning gender specific man haters. This is a
short summary of the situation as it seems to me.
The appropriate root term in Greek is ANDR
meaning `man' -in the gender sense. Words such
as `polyandrous' illustrate this root. Using
this root and the existing `feminine' terms
`misogyny' and `misogynist' we could form
the following pairings:
misogyny --- misandry
misogynist --- misandrist
The `male' pairings seem to be lacking in
attraction to lexicographers, in particular
those associated with the OED. Our edition
of the OED lists neither `misandry' nor
`misandrist'. A l976 supplement lists
`misandry' under the prefix `miso'-presumably
because `miso' is the prefix of the existing
female term. (Isn't that sexist?) Quotations
illustrating the use of `misandry' are from
1946 and 1960 ,rather recent in lexicographic
terms. `misandrist' is not listed at all.
The Webster's 3rd International recognises
`misandry' but not `misandrist'.
Perhaps some budding Sam Johnson--the front runner
among lexicographers-- is reading this, and
having perfected a protocol for citing electronic
texts, will recognise this HUMANIST text by
citing it in his online dictionary.
We will end then not with a use but a
mention. `misandrist'.
Ken Hanly Brandon Univ.

Re:Misandry -please read. (Score:1)
by Luek on Wednesday January 02, @05:43PM EST (#4)
(User #358 Info)
Misogyny is in their online collegiate version and I really don't hear or see that word used too often. So why do they exclude Misandry? (a rhetorical question if there ever was one!)

You could point out that their competition lists Misandry. I am looking at page 1122 of my brand new copy of the most current American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition and there is MISANDRY defined!

There is also an excellent online Encarta definition of Misandry at:
http://dictionary.msn.com/find/entry.asp?search=mi sandry

The definition is all over the place!

You are obviously getting the ol' corporate "blowoff!"

Merriam-Webster should get with the program or get out of the business. They have really never been my favorite document source for definitions anyway.
Re:Misandry -please read. (Score:1)
by LadyRivka (abrouty@wells.edu) on Wednesday January 02, @10:11PM EST (#5)
(User #552 Info) http://devoted.to/jinzouningen
YAAY! They've added that word [misandry] to some dictionaries! Now only if they'd be smart enough to add it to the rest of them. Ideas or realities need words to describe them!!

L.R.
"Female men's activist" is not an oxymoron.
Re:Misandry -please read. (Score:1)
by donaldcameron1 (aal@amateuratlarge.com) on Thursday January 03, @12:54AM EST (#9)
(User #357 Info) http://www.amateuratlarge.com
With whom are you coresponding?
They must include it if they include misanthrope.
It is a legitimate construction. I would like to also contact them in support of this issue.
Thanks in advance.
Re:Misandry -please read. (Score:1)
by Tom on Thursday January 03, @07:27AM EST (#11)
(User #192 Info)
Is there a word for hatred of lexicographers??? miso-soupo-lexo???

Please do publish the email address and names so more of us can let them know what we are thinking...
Re:Misandry -please read. (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Thursday January 03, @09:45AM EST (#12)
rmartino@Merriam-Webster.com

She will give you the "runaround"

i.e.

It will have to go throught the review process (yeah, that is what she said three months ago)

Provide examples, which I did.

It never moves through M-W's process...

Good luck.

letter and response (Score:1)