Infomercial Promotes Prostate Cancer Awareness
posted by Scott on Wednesday October 03, @05:12PM
from the men's-health dept.
Men's Health nagzi writes "I was just finishing watching Star Trek: TNG (late night) and before I had a chance to turn the TV off, an infomercial came on about a product that's supposed to help with prostate cancer. They gave some pretty scary stats: 10 million men are walking around and do not even know that they have a problem. They talked about some of the operations that men have to go through to treat the cancer -- very scary. Also, Dirk Benedick (StarBuck from Battlestar Galactica) was helping to promote the product. He talked about his experiences when he tried to talk about prostate cancer on national TV, and he basically was told to stop talking about it. Maybe someone in a men's issues group could get a hold of Mr. Benedick to promote prostate cancer. The product is called Beta Prostate, and no, I don't have anything to do with it. I just found it interesting that so much information was given, and that there was actually something about prostate cancer on TV."

Female-Only Shortlists for MPs in England | "Dear Abby" Acknowledges Male Victims of Abusive Relationships  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Dirk Bendict Contacts
by Nightmist (nightmist@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday October 03, @05:26PM EST (#1)
(User #187 Info)
http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/ - has e-mail address

http://www.kamikazecowboy.com/ - official site

Last Known Postal Address:
Dirk Benedict
PO Box 634
Bigfork, MT 59911
Re:Dirk Bendict Contacts
by frank h on Friday October 05, @02:27PM EST (#2)
(User #141 Info)
Folks,

Regarding the subject entry from nagzi, I emailed Dirk just to see how amenable he is to participating in a men’s movement. This is our exchange:

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:15:03
Frank Hujber wrote:
Mr. Benedict,

I read of your stifled attempts to talk publicly about prostate cancer on a website "www.mensactivism.org." There are many of us who frequent that website who would like very much to hear more. You may publish there using s pseudonym if you are concerned about career implications. However, I would encourage you to be more public about this kind of issue.

There is a growing men's movement in this country, though it doesn't [get] much press in the print or broadcast media. It truly is alive and well and living on the Internet. If you're so inclined, we would be very pleased if you would join us. We certainly do need the support of public figures like yourself. British actor Steven Berkoff has indicated a level of support. I hope others will soon.

OBTW, I enjoyed your work on Battlestar Galactica and the A-Team.

Frank Hujber

Dirk’s Reply: