Detailed Story Of The Brandeis Rape Accusation Case
posted by Scott on Wednesday December 20, @12:39PM
from the false-accusations dept.
False Accusations The Wall Street Journal Opinion Journal had an editorial on the recent Brandeis false rape accusation case, where there was significant controversy over the way universities are allowed to enforce their own discipline codes. This is one of the most detailed stories about a false accusation of rape on a college campus that I know of, and is immensely valuable reading material. Please check it out. Update: I have changed the description of this article, arfter recieving some percpetive comments about it.

UK Women's Unit To Shut Down? | A Child's Vision Of War  >

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Deleted Comments (Score:1)
by Scott (scott@mensactivism.org) on Wednesday December 20, @10:59PM EST (#1)
(User #3 Info) http://www.vortxweb.net/gorgias/mens_issues/index.html
Ack! I tried to delete the "Test post" comment I had posted here earlier today, and ended up deleting the comment from the Anon. User who correct me about the Brandeis case. I apologize. I would like to thank that poster and ask him or her to re-post a link to another story on this case that was in the previous post.

Thanks and sorry!

Scott
Re: Brandeis: The David Schaer Case (Score:0)
by Anonymous User on Wednesday December 20, @11:51PM EST (#2)
By the way, this case was reported last summer by The Chronicle of Higher Education. See their coverage at this link:
                                                                                                          http://www.chronicle.com/free/v46/i46/46a03301.htm
Brandeis University replies (Score:1)
by David Byron on Friday December 22, @08:45PM EST (#3)
(User #111 Info) http://www.feminismontrial.webprovider.com/index.htm
I thought I would pass on this reply I had from Brandeis University. It appears to be a standard reply. Hopefully they have had a lot of 'response'.

I have not been able to find a copy of the Massachusetts supreme court ruling but I would be surprised if the remarks here were accurate. The newspaper reports both seem to indicate that the fairness of the so-called judicial process at Brandeis was not the issue, but that, fair or unfair, they failed to follow their own code of conduct. But the legal matter hardly addresses their behaviour of ruining a young man's reputation and possibly career prospects by falsely branding him a rapist.

Ironically Brandeis seems to want "fairness" from the "court of public opinion" after going to court to ensure their right to treat the male students under their protection as inhumanely and with as much injustice as their political cowardice requires.

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:30:08 -0500
To: david_byron@my-deja.com
From: "John R. Hose"
Subject: David Schaer

Dear David,

The Wall Street Journal article of December 19, 2000 by Dorothy Rabinowitz presents a very misleading version of the 1996 disciplinary case involving David Schaer.

What Mr. Schaer was unable to obtain through the court system that rejected his claims, he now seeks to achieve in the court of public opinion. Unfortunately, federal law (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) bars Brandeis University, unlike Mr. Schaer, from disclosing all of the information in its possession regarding this matter.

There are, however, several misstatements in the article that demand correction. Chief among these is the impression that Mr. Schaer did not have an opportunity to present his side of the case. This is simply not true. In the course of several hours of testimony, he gave his own statement, presented seven witnesses and was allowed to question his accuser. In the end, the Student Judicial Board of five students and two faculty members believed her story and not his.

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, after reviewing Mr. Schaer's complaint, found that the University's student judicial process was fundamentally fair, that Mr. Schaer's suspension was supported by the evidence and that he was not denied his rights.

Sincerely,

John Hose

***************************************
Dr. John R. Hose
Executive Assistant to the President, and
Assistant Secretary of the Corporation
Brandeis University
Office of the President
415 South Street, MS 100